OK, so I have a dilemma now. I’ve been through the pre-adoption process with two different adopters for Shayna so far and they’ve both fallen apart at the last minute. The first had a family emergency and the second found out they are about to be uprooted by the military.
Of course, Snick and I have become more attached to Shay every day and vice versa. Most of you remember how upset Snick was after ~T~ and Secret moved out? Well, he’s loving having a buddy around every day again! A few mornings ago I was watching the two of them tear around the dog run so fast that both their tails were sticking out behind them and laughing at how much they enjoy each other. I started thinking maybe I should adopt her!
A couple nights ago, I took Shay to my friend lulu’s for a test run sleepover because it looks like I’ll still have her when Snick and I are supposed to be in Indianapolis for Christmas. lulu signed up as a temporary foster and said she’d keep Shay while I’m gone, so we were testing to see how lulu’s dog feels about that. lulu emailed me the next morning and said
She sat in front of the door for about an hour after you left. Then she curled up on the couch and went to sleep. she misses you and you can tell she doesn’t know why you left her here.
and then in reply to my reply a little while later
She wouldn’t sleep with me. I put her in the bed, but she got out. She slept on the couch. At the dog run, she sat at the fence and looked for you guys. I think it would be good if you adopted her. She’s very attached.
I keep bouncing the pros and cons around in my head and I just can’t figure out what the best decision would be. Please help me decide!
- Snickers loves her.
- I love her.
- She loves us!
- She and Snick keep each other company during the day when I’m at work.
- I don’t feel guilty if I go out with friends occasionally or do something else that leaves Snick at home… he has Shayna!
- I am no longer spending money for Snick to go to daycare once a week and my dog walker doesn’t charge me more for two dogs. That probably balances out the extra cost of food and treats!
- Shayna is SOOOO sweet and affectionate.
- Shay is SUCH an easy keeper. If I’m ever going to adopt a pal for Snick, she’s the best choice. She’s hardly any extra work at all and she’s so well behaved!
- I know from the way she reacts when I leave her places that she will be heartbroken (at first) when she is adopted. If I keep her, she gets to stay happy!
- I take Snick with me whenever feasible when I travel. Taking two dogs would seldom be feasible.
- Eventually, there will be vet bills. That’s expensive enough for one!
- If ~T~ moves home at some point (which isn’t looking likely, but still…) I’d have a serious Inu surplus!
- I have several friends that are willing to dogsit Snickers if I go away for a weekend. That wouldn’t work with two dogs. So, what would I do with the two of them?
- I don’t give Snickers the kind of one-on-one attention I did before. For example, I feel BAD if I take Snickers somewhere alone (like a class or event) because then Shayna is home alone. Snick hasn’t been to work with me in almost two months.
- Catching a cab with one dog is tough. Catching a cab with two dogs? Nearly impossible.
- Finding a landlord that allows one dog is tough. Finding a landlord that allows two dogs? Again, nearly impossible. (OK, maybe this doesn’t count, since I already decided I didn’t care when I adopted Secret for Miss ~T~.)
- I can easily handle one dog through whatever life may throw at me, but I’m not so sure about two. (Think evacuating the city type things.)
- Snick and I won’t be available to foster any more Shibas in need if we adopt Shay!
I think, if it were just about me and my own convenience, I wouldn’t do it. However, when I think of both Snickers and Shayna, I want to do it. Snick is very happy with a pal and Shay is obviously very happy living with us! Someone emailed me yesterday and said "Shayna was unhappy where she was and now she is happy and content. I would say go for it!!!" That makes sense. Yesterday I was leaning towards doing it. Today I am leaning towards not doing it. What do you guys think? At the very least, please vote. I’d love to see your comments or email on the subject also!