In no particular order, here are a few dog-related societal improvements that I feel would have immense benefits for companion animals and the humans who love them.
- the psychological benefits of animal companions recognized so that the elderly wouldn’t have to give up their pets when entering assisted living or nursing care facilities
- dogs proven to be well-behaved and under control (Canine Good Citizens perhaps) given the ability to fly in the cabin with their humans, without fitting under a seat
- an end to large commercial pet breeding facilities
- animals uniformly protected from neglect and abuse
- the sale of dogs, cats and other companions in pet stores made illegal
- an end to the mass murder of pets in "shelters" across our country
- humane education taught as a standard course in elementary schools
- an increase in residential and commercial buildings allowing pets
OK, that’s more than a few. What are some things you would love to see happen that would benefit our companion animals and ourselves?